After adding the assebly of System.Data.Entity to my web config I got this error: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.
I have deleted the obj and bin folders, I removed the line authentication="windows", tried to reopen as some has said it worked, I have checked that there is only 1 web.config within the main folder (Entity Framework - Folder for forms, model, DAL and BLL)...
What other reasons is there that this will happen? I searched everywhere and it's basically the above reasons I found....
This is my web.config if it makes a difference:
<configuration> <connectionStrings> <add name="ApplicationServices" connectionString="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|\aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> <add name="CStringVKB" connectionString="Data Source=.;Initial Catalog=VKB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=websiteservice;Password=websiteservice" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> </connectionStrings> <system.web> <compilation debug="true" optimizeCompilations="true" targetFramework="4.0" > <assemblies> <add assembly="System.Data.Entity, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" /> </assemblies> </compilation> <!--<authentication mode="Windows"> <forms loginUrl="~/Account/Login.aspx" timeout="2880" /> </authentication>--> <membership> <providers> <clear/> <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" connectionStringName="ApplicationServices" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" requiresUniqueEmail="false" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="6" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" passwordAttemptWindow="10" applicationName="/" /> </providers> </membership> <profile> <providers> <clear/> <add name="AspNetSqlProfileProvider" type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider" connectionStringName="ApplicationServices" applicationName="/"/> </providers> </profile> <roleManager enabled="false"> <providers> <clear/> <add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider" connectionStringName="ApplicationServices" applicationName="/" /> <add name="AspNetWindowsTokenRoleProvider" type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider" applicationName="/" /> </providers> </roleManager> </system.web> <system.webServer> <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true"/> </system.webServer> </configuration>
What can I do to solve this?
Basically, the error means that there is a web.config file in one of your subfolders that has a configuration element that it should not have. Is this you root/only web config file? If not, could you please post those as well?
Also, it sounds stupid, but I would double check that you're opening the website itself in your IDE (and not mistakenly opening a parent folder) I have seen people spend a couple hours trying to debug this same error, when all along they weren't in the right directory.
Here is a good explanation on how the web.config hierarchy is set up for ASP that will help you visualize how this works: http://scottonwriting.net/sowblog/archive/2010/02/17/163375.aspx
Apparently there were two web.config files in my solution. I am using MVC4 and there was another config file under Views and i was making the change in the wrong file. Fixed there helped me.
But you can always change the default redirect/route in the global.asax file.