In fact, I wanted
MySql.Data.Entity.EF6, however, for some reason Visual Studio ADO EDMX editor wanted
MySql.Data.Entity.EF5 (same version, 184.108.40.206).
First, I checked if the NuGet packages 'MySql.Data' and 'MySql.Data.Entity' were installed.
I then issued the following command in PowerShell to reinstall all packages to help fix any .net version errors:
and proceeded to verify that all references in web.config were correct; however, the error remained. I even reinstalled MySQL for Visual Studio 1.2.6, but still the same.
(FYI: Restarting Visual Studio at each step above)
The solution for me was to simply add a new "dummy" ADO Entities Data Model to the project, referencing the same database (not sure this matters), which seemed to correct some references (somewhere) within the solution/project to the wrong version of the MySQL DLL (the error said 'EF5', but it should have been looking for 'EF6'). I'm sure there was a cache somewhere that was doing this, but just not sure where.
Edit: In retrospect, I perhaps should have tried deleting the
obj folder first, as there are some
*AssemblyReferences*.cache files in there. I tried rolling back to a previous version of the source (using Git) to test this, but the old version works now! So I'm sure it must have been the
obj folder, which is ignored by Git by default.