Just installed ODAC for Visual Studio 2017 version 19.3 from here: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/dotnet-odacmsi-vs2017-downloads.html to replace ODT for Visual Studio 2017 NuGet Package. Then I noticed my Oracle NuGet packages were gone in my VS solution, and I had to re-add them. But this time I used Oracle.ManagedDataAccess 19.3 (previously had used 12.2.1100), and Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.EntityFramework 19.3 (previously used 12.2.1100).
Now my EDMX gets an error when I try to open it: "Error 168: The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance. The type initializer for 'OracleInternal.Common.ProviderConfig' threw an exception."
I found an interesting answer by Mitaka here: Entity Framework: The provider did not return a providermanifest instance, so I opened my EDMX with XML Text Editor and found my ProviderManifestToken="12.1". So just for grins, I tried "19.3" and "19.1" but neither worked.
Anybody know the magic value? I'm just hoping that is how to solve the error. Thanks.
Got it. "18.0"
It actually updated itself after I got a bunch of other kinks worked out including "There is a duplicate 'oracle.manageddataaccess.client' section defined." Turns out the definition for Oracle.ManagedDataAccess was in my WebAPI web.config and also the machine config. Had to update THIS specific machine.config: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config - do a search on "managed" and comment out in 3 places.
Then it let me create a connection in Visual Studio 2017 Server Explorer and open the EDMX. Finally the EDMX update wizard is no longer aborting on the Data Connection screen. Back in business.